PPG was founded in 1883 as the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company and was the first commercially successful plate glass factory in the USA.
Today, PPG is the world-leading supplier of coatings and specialty materials. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh, PA (USA) and operates in more than 70 countries around the world.
In 1952, PPG recognized the potential of another type of glass product and established its fiberglass manufacturing business with the opening of the facility in Shelby, NC (USA).
Plant operations in Hoogezand, the Netherlands began in 1963 with PPG as a partial owner with Silenka. PPG assumed full ownership in 1990. Fiberglass production in Wigan, UK, began in 1978 when it was opened as a manufacturing facility of Turner & Newell (T-Glass Fibres, Ltd.). In 2016, PPG sold its European fiber glass operations to Nippon Electric Glass Co. Ltd.
The Lexington, NC (USA) plant opened in 1967 and is comprised of more than 1.3 million square feet of area under one roof. Both reinforcement and specialty yarns are manufactured at this facility.
Many of the operations within the Chester, SC (USA) facility are automated with robots moving product from place to place within the facility. This facility was opened in 1996.
PPG operates a research and development in Shelby, NC, which is A2LA-certified.